Monday, January 1, 2007

Only One Resolution... To Go Faster


New Year's means different things to different people. For some it is an opportunity to drink themselves stupid, for college football fans, it is the last immersion in a sport that no one else in the world plays.


For me it is usually a time of reflection, a time to appreciate what I have. I count myself as being lucky. I am healthy and better yet I have the ability to ride. Almost as much as I want. For sure, there are demands of family and work, but the rides are self-fulfilling: outside demands make it harder to ride so each ride is more fulfilling and at the same time each ride enables me to better handle those outside demands.


So I am thankful for:

--my wife, Tammi, who understands the almost drug addiction like passion I have for cycling

--my daughter, Elora, who makes me laugh, cry and challenges me in ways I never thought possible

--the friends who share my passion and let me ride with them

--the rest of my family who do not pretend to comprehend my need to ride, but still listen to my endless ramblings about all things cycling.



At the same time, though, it is a time of looking forward to the new year. Many people make resolutions on New Years: to do things differently, or better or the always faithful- go to the gym more often.

For cyclists though, it runs deeper. At this point, your season(s) are generally over and the preparation for the next season has begun. Goals are set; training plans developed. Last year's data analysed, race results and miles ridden tallied.


I have but one resolution this year... and that is to go faster. Go faster! In everything you do. Whether it is cycling, work, family or something else. By this I mean to pursue excellence, to strive to be the best at each thing I do.
Although, faster on the bike would be cool!

No comments: