Tuesday, March 27, 2007

a.m. sounds

There is something surreal about doing your whole workout in the dark. I left the house at 5:30 to this morning for an easy 25 miles. I like to ride the Lakefront path in the morning because it is empty. On the ride to the path, only cab drivers were out... wait a minute, the coffee just finished brewing BRB.

O.k., back. Some runners, a few riders, you can see the riders from a distance only by each others blinky lights (or as I like to call them the please-don't-run-me-over lights). I don't bring my iPod when I ride outside, it makes me feel disconnected from the bike. I can't hear the wheels rolling or the mechanical sounds of the bike or the outside.

Indoors, iPod 24/7, but outdoors, I like to hear the outdoors. The squeakiness of another rider's bike- oil your damn chain! The shuffle step of a runner as I glide by. The click clack of the dog's collar whose owner should no better than to let him walk off leash on the path. The caw of the seagulls fighting for a piece of white bread.

3 comments:

Jason said...

I agree. Inside = iPod. Outside I love to hear everything. It doesn't feel right to me. I also don't want to be smashed by a bus.

j

fasterjim said...

Right on Jason. Bus smashing would be very bad.

Matt said...

Lol, that's my routine. I'm up early and either I'll beat the auto brewer and have to wait or I'll time it perfectly and I'll sip coffee within minutes of waking up. Little internet time and the caffiene gives me will to ride. The first ride, in the quiet of dawn just makes the rest of the day go so well.