Friday, March 9, 2007

Hardcore George

Hincapie breaking his wrist early in stage 6 at the Tour of California is yet another setback for one of my favorite riders. He finished the stage, contributing heavily to Discovery's effort to control the race, but now will miss the spring Classics.

His 2007 schedule was to have raced Paris-Nice, Milan-San Remo, Three Days of De Panne (which he won in 2004), Flanders (where he finished second in 2006), Gent-Wevelgem (which he won in 2001), and Roubaix, where he took second in 2005. Following the classics he was to prepare for his 12th straight Tour de France by racing the Dauphiné. See velonews.

I swear, Hincapie cannot get a break (no pun intended.)

Who can forget this from last year's Paris-Roubaix:

In a great position in the break with 2 team mates and the steerer snaps. I've watched that race a dozen times this winter and I cringe every time I see it.

Or this from ENECO:

Velonews reported today that Hincapie was now targeting the Tour of Georgia. Theoretically he could then do L-B-L which is at the end of April and still have a chance at a Monument.


While sometimes down, Hincapie has never been out. After the shoulder separation last year, he didn't dwell on it, but immediately started planning for his next race. Similarly, this year, after being dealt a bad hand at the ToC, he's looking forward. Hincapie said "I have been riding indoors only and waiting for the go ahead from the doctor to let me ride outside."


I was hoping to see Hincapie tear it up at the Classics this year. No matter where he makes his comeback though, he's always high on my list to root for.

Photos: Velonews.

1 comment:

Baughb said...

Jim

email me, I don't have your's and ed's email addresses