Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Let it snow

It's easier to be a cyclist when you live in a place where it doesn't get cold or snow. But when you live in a place like Chicago, you have to try harder. Take this winter as an example, with temperatures barely creeping above 30 degrees at any time since January 1, 2007, getting out for a ride has been challenging. In my case impossible, with work and family added in. When it hasn't been cold out, it's snowed. Like today, 2" of the white stuff.

Some argue that despite the temperature and wet weather, you should get out to ride, to get the so called hardman kms in. That is one view, however, I know my own body and I know my limit. Riding in temps below 25 leads to one thing for me, I end up getting sick. That just means more time off the bike, I'd rather ride on the damn trainer than not be able to ride at all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rule #1:
A hardman never admits he is not a hardman.

I hope your team management doesn't get wind of this.

hm

fasterjim said...

Good point. Hey, C4 management, this post should in no way be interpreted as an admission that I am not a hardman, just a wuss when it comes to cold weather.