Friday, March 2, 2007

Melon Farmer

23 years ago today, Repoman was released. I was 17 years old, in my senior year of high school. This movie quickly became a regular event. Since then it has become a cult classic. It is Emilio Estevez' best role, along with Maximum Overdrive, no I'm not kidding. MO is the greatest AC/DC video ever made!

When they released the movie for television, they had to make some edits and used the term "melon farmer" which has gained cult status itself.

This movie also stars Harry Dean Stanton, who is one of those guys that is in almost every other movie ever made. He's just there.

2 of my favorite scenes:

Miller, the mechanic talking to Otto(Estevez):



Miller: A lot o' people don't realize what's really going on. They view life as a bunch o' unconnected incidents 'n things. They don't realize that there's this, like, lattice o' coincidence that lays on top o' everything. Give you an example; show you what I mean: suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Otto: You eat a lot of acid, Miller, back in the hippie days?

And:

Otto's conversation with the driver of the car eveyone's searching for:

Parnell: Ever been to Utah? Ra-di-a-tion. Yes, indeed. You hear the most outrageous lies about it. Half-baked goggle-box do-gooders telling everybody it's bad for you. Pernicious nonsense. Everybody could stand a hundred chest X-rays a year. They ought to have them, too. When they canceled the project it almost did me in. One day my mind was full to bursting. The next day - nothing. Swept away. But I'll show them. I had a lobotomy in the end.

Otto: Lobotomy? Isn't that for loonies?

Parnell: Not at all. Friend of mine had one. Designer of the neutron bomb. You ever hear of the neutron bomb? Destroys people - leaves buildings standing. Fits in a suitcase. It's so small, no one knows it's there until - BLAMMO. Eyes melt, skin explodes, everybody dead. So immoral, working on the thing can drive you mad. That's what happened to this friend of mine. So he had a lobotomy. Now he's well again.

The soundtrack features tunes by: Iggy Pop, Black Flag and the Circle Jerks.

54 days since riding outside

3 comments:

Carlos said...

I thought his best films were the mighty ducks and Men at Work, with his brother Charlie...

Although, I gotta say I'm still afraid of playing softball around a field that has a pop machine...

Jason said...

54 days?? Yikes!

fasterjim said...

I know. The only nice days have been during the week and I've been too busy to take off.