Thursday, March 22, 2007

Papa 1, Mama 727

My soon to be 2 year old daughter, Elora, learned how to "gimme five" about the same time that she started walking. The next logical progression would be the "high five" and then the "low five", thus setting her up for the ultimate... "down low... you're too slow."

From wikipedia:

A high five is a celebratory gesture made by two people, each raising one hand to slap the raised hand of the other — usually meant to communicate to spectators mutual self-satisfaction or to extend congratulations from one person to another. The arms are usually extended into the air to form the "high" part, and the five fingers of each hand meet, thus making the "five".

If one initiates a high five by raising a hand into the air and no one consummates the celebration by slapping the raised hand, the initiator is said to be "left hanging." This is considered to be a somewhat embarrassing faux pas.



She picked up the "high five" pretty quickly, even interpreting when to use it or not. Last night though she left Mama (Tammi) "hanging."

Elora had correctly stated that open and closed were opposites and

Tammi said "high five" and raised her outstretched hand,
Elora replied "No mama, no high five, Papa high five."
Elora turned to me and put her hand up and I gave her the high five.

I said to Elora, "Mama can't give you a high five" and she replied "no, only papa."

Normally, when something like this happens, you don't celebrate the fact that your child has picked one parent over the other, however, I couldn't help feeling some elation in the fact there was a thing, one thing that Elora has reserved for me.

The reality for us is that I have to work full time and Tammi works part time; my job has the healthcare and the pension benefits. Tammi is with Elora 3 or 4 times the amount of time I am. More often than not, Elora seeks Tammi out for comfort and solace, she gets the hugs more than I do. I understand that this is a function of time spent and familiarity, but it is hard sometimes.

So, no offense to Tammi, but score one for the papa.

Incidentally, National High Five Day is April 19, 2007.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I may have to stop reading this blog.

fasterjim said...

Anon-

I'd hate to lose a reader, but certainly your choice and as there are like a million blogs out there to read, I understand.