Sunday, March 25, 2007

Sensation

Today was a slow day- base miles. 50 miles- 3 hours, a little bit of work on the way back, against the wind. I read somewhere that you normally do not feel the effects of a hard workout until the day or even the second day after the workout. I expected to feel sore, stiff from the fast ride and some efforts yesterday, but I felt good. Better than good. I felt great.

This time of the season it's all about how I feel, not how fast or far I can go, that all comes later. If I get dropped from the group, it just means I have some more work to do. Now it is about "sensation." How I feel before, during and after each ride.

Sensations... of bike, muscle, road and speed. The big gear. Jumping on a wheel as the group surges forward. Closing a gap that someone else let open. All the while, paying attention to what my body is telling me. My heart rate was a little higher at points than I would like, but that will change.

The hours in December, January and February paid off. The base is there. Time to build.

2 comments:

Nico said...

It is time to bring the pain.

fasterjim said...

nico-

Right on!