Thursday, March 15, 2007

A Spring Haiku

I wrote this a while ago, but seems to be appropriate with the warming weather:

red sun rises east
warms my winter wind swept face
wheels roll, narrow, true


Haiku is one of my favorite forms of poetry. A set amount of syllables and lines, 2 related lines and one that stands alone but not entirely alone. From Wikipedia: Haiku is one of the most happy and important forms of traditional Japanese poetry. Haiku is, today, a 17-syllable verse form consisting of three metrical units of 5, 7, and 5 syllables

One of my favorite times to ride is early in the morning at the crack of dawn. Alone. Usually easy rides, maybe some tempo or short sprints. Mental work rather than physical work. A time to think, to reflect. I don't listen to music, I listen to the bike and the awakening world. The wheels on pavement, clicking of the gears, the chatter of the birds.

There is something about dawn that makes me feel alive. Cycling of course also evokes that emotion, so cycling at dawn only enhances its effect.

2 comments:

Chris said...

Dude, you forgot to rhyme.

Matt said...

I do love the early morning rides - but living in the desert there can be a 40F temp swing from 6 AM to noon, so sometimes it's hard to consider donning the cold weather gear, when you can wait a few hours and ride sleeveless.