Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Them Crazy Bars

I was walking to the subway yesterday and came across an old Schwinn. Look at these funky bars.



With the shifters on the inside under the stem. Got me thinking about the old mountain bike bars that were popular in the late 80s and early 90s. Instead of regular bars with bar ends for climbing, some people ran these "wrap around" bars. A quick call to my mountain bike tech guru John led me to these: the Scott bars, which he informs me, were the first, and other companies, including Schwinn then made several different types of these "wrap around" bars, including the one pictured above.


These were pretty popular back then as riders were searching for anyway to get into a better position on the mountain bike. These bars certainly offered many different grips. Weight wise, they were fine because bar ends at that time were pretty heavy, even for the aluminum ones.

No comments: