Tuesday, April 24, 2007

What's the point?

Yesterday, I saw the cyclingnews.com flash that L'Equipe reported that Floyd Landis' B-samples came back showing traces of synthetic testosterone. Today I saw that Landis, predictably and justifiably cried foul because his experts were denied access to the testing and because L'Equipe knew about the purported results before anyone else did.

I was going to do a piece on the whole stinking mess and then thought "What's the point?'"

Either he's guilty and that just sucks.

OR

He's innocent, but has no chance of proving it. He will have spent tons of money in a fruitless endeavor to clear his name because he's never going to get the chance to do it. Why would USADA deny Landis access to the lab and the procedures? What do they have to hide?

If an athlete cannot even get access to evidence that would assist him in defending himself, he has no chance.

I think the latter scenario bothers me more than if he actually cheated.

No comments: