Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Good to Go

The reality of being a cyclist is that we cheat death. Well, maybe not death itself, but at least serious bodily injury. Whether it's clearing a piece of trail strewn with slick rocks, navigating a 30+ mph sprint, or dodging a Starbucks high SUV driver, a crash and resulting damage can be imminent.

Last week at the Mid-Week Classic a friend broke his pedal, shearing off the axle, leaving part of it still in the crank. He was only going about 10-15 mph, but he was up, out of the saddle when the axle snapped causing him to go straight down to the ground.


I wasn't there, so when I asked him what happened and how he was, this was his response:

I broke my helmet, other than that, I'm good to go.

Good to go. Damn straight, good to go!

2 comments:

Matt said...

Damn! I did that same thing last year. I stood up and when pushing on the non-drive pedal nothing was there - it cause me to endo to the right and I flew head first into a metal bridge support (this was a bike path metal bridge over a highway). One of those weird things where the helmet did it's job and really no damage. Got a free replacement helment from LG too because of the 1-year free crash replacement policy (even though it was older than 1 year they still obliged).

Glad your buddy is all right.

TRI Vortex said...

My ex-boss (I didn't get fired, he quit) broke is collar bone in the same place TWICE. I don't what it is about cyclists but they're hardcore.