Friday, July 13, 2007

Can't Help Myself

Prior to the start of the Tour this year, I had convinced myself that I wasn't going to watch it. With the doping issues ruining every positive cycling moment recently: take your pick, Floyd, Landis, Puerto (Basso, Ullrich etc.), I didn't want to be let down. I thought I might read some of the updates, maybe watch a mountain stage or two, but I wasn't going to dive in and commit.

Who the hell was I kidding?? Here I am reading the live updates as they come in and watching the race as soon as I get home each night, suffering through Al's stupid questions and Bob's meandering thoughts.

And why? First, because there's bike racing on my TV every night for 3 weeks straight. It is the only time we get this much coverage. It is a cyclists dream.

Second, it's the goddamn Tour. It is the fastest, most difficult, most dangerous bike race there is. Everyone one wants to "win" something. Even if its just being in a suicide break or wearing one of the jerseys for just one day. The Giro, Vuelta, P-R are all great races, but they are not the Tour.

Finally, the racing has been awesome. The yellow jersey attacking out the peloton to take the stage. Last night's mayhem.

The first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem. I admit it, I am addicted.

No comments: