Thursday, August 9, 2007

Winter Park Day 4

"The best-laid plans of mice and men often go awry."

My plan today was to ride Tipperary Creek and Spruce Creek both ways. These 2 trails intersect at the top of a ridge line, maybe 1,000 ft. from their starts Tipperary is about 3.5 miles long, several switchbacks and creek crossings. Spruce Creek is 2 miles down off of the same ridge as Tipperary, but no real switchbacks. So, I was going to ride up Spruce Creek, down Tipperary and then turn around and do the reverse.

The ride started out great. Headed out at about 7:45 a.m., legs felt great, sun was out, I couldn't ask for more. About 7.5 miles to the Spruce Creek trailhead on paved and dirt road, I downed a double espresso Clif shot and headed up. 2.5 miles in 29 minutes. Then I headed down Tipperary. Got to the bottom in under 15 minutes, turned around and started the climb back and SNAP!

Oh shit! Flipped over backwards and ended up on my back still clipped in. Tried to fix it, but my chain tool was also busted. Now what? Luckily, I was at the start of Tipperary so I headed out on County 50, walking. I texted Tammi with a "I'm a dumbass, please come get me" message and she did.

My saviors.

Back to town and went to Totally Wired Cyclery to get a new chain. I walked into the shop and talked to Doug, the shop manager. He hooked me up with a new chain and put it on my bike. I have cut chains before, but do it so infrequently that I'd rather have a pro do it. I met Doug last summer when we were here, discussing tattoos and of course trails and bikes.

Totally Wired is the only true bike shop in Winter Park/Fraser. There are several other shops, but most if not all of these started out as ski shops, adding bikes to get them through the dry summer months. This is not to say that the ski/bike shops do not provide excellent service, they do, in fact I spent some cash in a couple of them earlier in the trip. But it's not like walking into a bike shop. A bike shop has a feel to it, even a smell.

Totally Wired is about bikes. No skis, no boards, no 50% off sales on last seasons winter gear, just bikes. 99% mountain bikes and mostly full suspension at that.


One of the coolest things about Totally Wired is that it is connected with Rocky Mountain Roastery. I don't just mean owned by the same people, I mean literally connected. You go in one door to the bike shop, go through an archway and you are in the coffee shop.
The post-ride java in the coffee shop side.
Tonight we'll hear free bluegrass in downtown Winter Park. Tomorrow I'll ride what I intended to ride today and then some.

4 comments:

Jason said...

Sucks about the chain. You're making me jealous. I rode out in WP about 5 or 6 years ago. Good stuff. And SO close to Denver.

Crested Butte and Durango probably have better riding, are so much harder to get to. Enjoy the trip and say hi the the Rockies for me. I miss them. :(

Later

j

Chris said...

Dude one word -- PowerLink! I carry one of those bad boys with me wherever I go. Even with a snapped chain, you can figure out enough linkage to slip in the link and single-speed it out ... Sorry to hear about the backflip. Glad you're OK. If you ever get a chance to get out to SLO, California, they have a connected bike shop/java house as well ... mexican chocolate mocha ... oh, yeah ...

Matt said...

Ditto on the quick link.

Absolute Bikes in Salida has a god coffee shop connected to it as well. And then of course there is the Bike and Bean in Sedona, which is a bike AND coffee shop.

Can't wait to see the pics from the next epic ride!

fasterjim said...

Thanks for comments guys. yeah I spaced on a link... won't make that mistake again.