A typical group ride cast of characters:
1. The Gap Creator. This rider will fight you for every wheel and as soon as you give up and let him have it he immediately creates a gap. He is then unwilling and/or unable to close that gap, forcing the riders behind him to come around and close the gap.
2. The Complainer. No matter what happens on the ride, this rider is unhappy and tells everyone how unhappy he is. Too many attacks, not enough attacks, no one wants to pull, I'm the only one pulling, pacelines are stupid etc.
3. The Directeur Sportiff. This rider tells everyone else what to do, when to do it and how to do it. Start a paceline, counter-clockwise, clockwise. Green light, red light.
4. The Finisher. Rarely takes a pull and seldom attacks, but through effective pack management, this rider always finishes the ride.
5. The Sprinter. Only seen at the sprints, this rider sweeps around from the back of the group to contest any and all sprints. Prompting other riders to exclaim "where the hell have you been!"
6. Java-Man. This rider starts the ride with a coffee or shot of espresso and then after the first surge comments that what he really wants is a cup of coffee. His sole reason for riding is the post-ride coffee.
7. The Surger. This rider has the ability to sit in the group anywhere he chooses and then surges to the front, drops the hammer and leaves everyone scrambling to catch up. He doesn't stay away, rather he sits up and lets the group catch him. He then fades to the back of the group only to do the same thing a short while later.
It takes all kinds... have a good ride.