Friday, October 5, 2007

The devil almost won

The devil almost won this morning, but I did make it out. He had some convincing arguments. I think this is the hardest time of the year to be motivated to get up and ride. The weekends are easy: the sun's up, it's warmer etc. 5:15 a.m. is a lonely time. I remember when I was a kid and my grandparents would get up at 4:30 a.m., I used to think they were crazy. Now, it seems like time slips away. Never enough time in the day to do everything you want. Constant hustle.

Left the house with arm warmers and took them off within the first mile. I consider myself lucky to be riding in October in just bibs and a jersey.


Ride was fairly uneventful, except for the fact that a bird crapped on me. This has never happened to me before. I've seen it happen to other riders, but not me. I heard the "caw" of the bird, then a little "squirt", then plop, right on my left arm. WTF! There was no on else out there. It was like the bird was sitting up in the tree with his little bird friends saying "I got him, this one's mine...". Bombs away!


View of the lake from from my turnaround- the back of the Shedd Aquarium. 6:12 a.m. and no sun.

View of the Chicago skyline from the same point.

2 comments:

chiefhiawatha said...

here is why it's hard

5:45 AM: 51degrees
4:00 PM: 72 degrees

Matt said...

You are a better man than me right now....it's been all after work riding right now.