Thursday, November 15, 2007

Cross Practice

Got up to James Park yesterday at about 10 to 5 for cross practice... but the lights were off. Hung with Lou for awhile thinking maybe they were on a timer or something and would come on around 5 or so, but never happened, so we all left.

On a whim I decided to drive by Montrose (the same site as the Illinois state championships on 12/9) to see if lights were on there. There's an artificial turf soccer field , so I thought the odds would be good. Score! The lights were on. So I rode for a little over an hour going around the soccer field using the light poles and trees as turns. I did 2 20 minute efforts with rest in between.

It was a little chilly and the wind was howling, but the embrocation worked great. The guys playing football on the field thought I was nuts, though. When I finished one of them asked me what I was training for. I tried to explain what cyclocross was, where it came form etc., but, wrapped up in his parka, I think he still thought I was a little crazy...

Wait a minute, come to think of it... I was riding around in circles in the cold, jumping off my bike, slinging it over my shoulder and running with then jumping back on it and sprinting for the next tree.

I am a little crazy... just a little.

It's alright, it's alight, it's alight
I'm just a little crazy
It's alright, it's alright, it's alight
I'm just a little crazy

Under my skin and into my bones
I feel insanity begin to make its home
Into my vision and through my mouth
Somebody's working me to get me all strung out

It's alright, it's alright, it's alright
I'm just a little crazy
It's alright, it's alright, it's alright
I'm just a little crazy

There goes my reason
Where's all my hope
I'm just a puppet pulled by stings to make me cope
I'm seeing nothing
What's all this noise
Could someone give me something
Just to get me through this boy

It's alright, it's alright, it's allright
I'm just a little crazy

Under my skin and into my bones
I feel insanity begin to make its home
Into my vision and through my mouth
Somebody's working me to get me all strung out

It's alright, it's alright, it's alright
I'm just a little crazy

Little Crazy, Rob Halford (of Judas Priest fame)


I guess that's why I really dig cross. From the outside it does appear a "little crazy." Until you try it.

No comments: