Friday, December 7, 2007

Just because

Sunday forecast: Periods of light wintry precipitation. Temps nearly steady in the low to mid 30s. Winds ENE at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of precip 40%.

At lunch today, a friend confirmed that he was going to come out to the race on Sunday and see what it was all about. Another friend then asked me why anyone would want to race their bike in "this" kind of weather.

I paused for a second and said "I guess, because we can." She responded that she thought it was more a case of us proving to each other who was tougher. I laughed and said something like "yeah, that too."

Now that I've had time to think about it though, I would have a different response. It's not about proving something to someone else, it's about proving it to myself. Each race I've learned more and have gotten faster.

And, 'cross is just about the most fun I've ever had on a bicycle.

2 comments:

roman said...

I couldn't agree more, it's definitely about proving to oneself and nobody else: "how much pain am I willing to put up with?" I liken cross to snowboarding in the back country, starring at a crazy-impossible line, then going for it and seeing what happens. Some may think it's foolish or not worth suffering for, but for me it makes me feel alive. The satisfaction of suffering through and finishing a tough cross race then looking back at what I have just accomplished, it stirs my soul! I love riding my bike!

fasterjim said...

Roman- Well said.