Friday, January 4, 2008

2008 season is now

After much consideration, I have decided to change the way I ride and train for this upcoming season. I am now training with the assistance of a coach.

I haven't had a coach since I ran track and cross country in high school oh-so-many years ago. Then, we just did what we were told. We ran the times, or at least tried to run the times we were given for each workout. We didn't ask questions about it, we just ran.

My relationship with my new coach began with questions. He wanted to know what goals I had for 2008 and wanted me to rate myself on certain cycling skills like sprinting, climbing etc.

Goals? Cross is definitely my top goal. Beyond that though, I'm not sure. I will have to think about it.

Along with thinking about training in a different way i.e. goal oriented, I will need a power meter.

So, a new wheelset will have to wait.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Coaches are notorious for ruining the Judson ride. Don't let them take away the joys!

fasterjim said...

Anon-

Actually being to able to ride Judson was one of my requirements. Coach said no problem. Group rides can be good training. You just aren't supposed to do them all the time.

Chris said...

I'd flip that: Judson is notorious for ruining people's goals for the season ...

Anonymous said...

Chris-

Sorry you feel the need to blame Judson...it's probably the group ride that made you the cyclist you are today...

Since you may be discussing your reportedly poor season, why not just say what happened to your season--- you got a new job and couldn't focus as much, you traveled all over, your preparation may have suffered, then Lou and Klug rode away from you at States, , ....but don't blame the Judson!!!!

Peace.

Judson-lover, Periodization DeBunker