Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Beginning

Today was my first real workout of the 2008 season. With my training zones set, my new coach gave me a week's worth of sessions.

So what does this mean? Back to the life of a bicycle geek or maybe "monk."

To bed and then up early in the morning, no later than 5:30 a.m. I have to be finished by 7 a.m. so I have some time to hang out with Elora before I have to leave for the office at around 8.

Watching what I eat and when. With the cross racing, I have only gained 3 pds. since July. Usually, I gain about 8 pds. over the winter. My problem is that I am always hungry, so even though my activity decreases in the winter, I still eat as much as I would during the summer. Now, though, if I can keep my weight where it is now, I'll have less to lose later. Didn't they always say that Jan's biggest problem was that he gained too much weight during the off season, thereby inhibiting his training in the spring?

Looking at my week's workouts, they are longer and harder than I have come up with on my own. That can only be a good thing.

I can't wait to get the power meter, then I should be able to do some real targeted training.

2 comments:

Matt said...

That's the deal isn't it...fighting the hunger pains. The thing to do is chug water all day long...but then you have to pee all the time. I can't say that I am consistent with this method.

The trick that works for me when lifting weights is to ride AM fat burners (before breakfast) at a moderate pace and then lift weights in the evenings. An non lift days, if I have the time I'll try to do a fun mtb ride in the evening.

If you figure out something to keep the belly from rumbling let me know....

Super Tick said...

The nice thing about having a coach is being accountable to someone other than yourself. It makes you push a little bit harder everytime.