Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Effort

The 20 minute effort/test was harder than I thought it would be.

I wore my HR for 2 of the cross races and averaged 167 bpm at both races with highs of 189. One race was 45 minutes long, the other was 30 minutes. I had hoped to at least hit those numbers.

The warm-up went fine. 30 minutes, easy, 3 1 minute high cadence efforts and then one 2 minute hard effort.

Then 20 minutes full on. The playlist was perfect as "Hit the Lights" started right at the start of the effort.

I picked the songs in the playlist for 2 reasons, cadence/beats per minute and/or meaning/lyrics.

So a song like Who Are You, The Who is on there because while warming up I am also trying to motivate/inspire myself to attack this effort. It's not like racing where the adrenaline is punching and everything is GO!

A New Level by Pantera is on there because the song pounds for just over 3 minutes with a chorus of "A new level of confidence and power." It is also strategically placed at the end of the effort because the last minute was supposed to balls to the walls, everything left.

Times Like These by the Foo Fighters was the first cool down song:

it's times like these you learn to live again
it's times like these you give and give again
it's times like these you learn to love again
it's times like these time and time again

Result: 169 avg. and 187 high.

1 comment:

Jason said...

Sometimes I think it takes more to get motivated for a spin/test than it does a race! Music always inspires me too. Good luck.

j