Friday, March 7, 2008

Battle Royal

Looks like the ASO v. UCI Battle Royal will come to a head this Sunday with Paris-Nice. I haven't gotten on my soapbox with this one yet, because I'm not really sure how I feel. The more I read about it, the more I think ASO is full of crap and only concerned about its bottom line. On the other hand, it's not like the UCI has been doing anyone any favors and certainly appears to be acting very heavy handedly.

It's like playing cards with 2 players who are holding equal hands. ASO controls the Tour and some of the other most prestigious events and has a legitimate interest in keeping its events clean, blah, blah, blah. UCI is the international sanctioning body and has the power to determine who can race and where. But, do we really need the ProTour? Will the Tour Down Under ever be as importnant as the TdF or even P-R?

Since the IOC will follow what the UCI says, I think Wiggins and Cavendish are on the right track. If your goal is the Olympics, why chance it.

It's just another example of how the riders get caught in the cross fire again.

And there is only one solution: UNION. I know other writers/bloogers have said the same thing. If enough people say it, maybe it will happen and the riders will have a voice that will finally be heard.

1 comment:

Chris said...

Union is such a powerful idea -- unfortunately it's a bunch of selfish bike racers who can't figure out how to work together for the common good. Has been that way since Day 1 -- pretty sad.