Thursday, May 1, 2008

Burning road

Burning road
Seen more than they know
Burning road
On and on they roll!

Fu Manchu, Burning Road, Action is Go



I rolled out at 5:35 this morning with the sun just coming up over my left shoulder as I headed south. There is something about riding at dawn. In my younger days (read: college) I used to stay up all night to watch the dawn, mostly in some kind of substance induced stupor. Then my purpose was to do it just because I could.

Now though, dawn has a different meaning. Maybe it's the combination of the conditions at dawn and the knowledge that most people are still asleep while I am already riding. For me, dawn is the best time to get my ride in.

4 x 10 LTs today. Target was to average 230 watts. I hit the first one a little too hot and had to settle down. The second and third were very good, consistent, but I had some problems with traffic on the path. The fourth was wide open.

1. 240
2. 231
3. 233
4. 242

When I got home I felt like I had drank 20 cups of coffee. Exhilarated, not able to talk without starting to giggle. Talk about endorphin release!

1 comment:

thePig said...

Can't say I quite get going that early but the world is so much more peaceful early in the morning.

There is nothing like being out on the roads with no-one else about.