Thursday, February 12, 2009

Feeling a Bit Out of Focus

Let's just say I feel a little blurry. That familiar "body tired from workout, but legs feel good" feeling is back. This may sound really weird, but I can feel a good workout in my teeth. Like in the sockets of my molars. When I've really pushed, hard, a few hours later I can feel the effort, well, in my teeth. I have that feeling right now. Today was another set of 8 x 5 min low cadence efforts, power higher than the 20 minute test range. The idea is to pedal as slow as you can while still generating the required power level. I end up at about 50 rpms, which is pretty damn slow. I have to admit, these are hard for me and they hurt.

Its the mental focus part that gets hard. The first minute, second minute are always pretty easy. But then the slowness of the cadence and the sheer weight of spinning a 53 x 13 or 12 on the trainer numbs my mind. The whir, whir, whir even starts to overpower the iPod music in my ears. Sometimes, I have to get really down low on the bars so the SRM head is only 6 inches or so from my face and just stare, unblinking at the numbers, telling my self, 2:30 left, 2 left, 1 minute, 30 seconds...". Drink some water, wait 2 minutes, repeat.

3 comments:

Ben said...

man, I know I have those coming...the don't sound much fun...

Matt said...

It weird how those same intervals are harder physically when on the road...but easier mentally.

Anonymous said...

If you brush your teeth for a long time.... til your gums bleed.... is it the same as putting in a 3 hour workout with intervals?

Ted "The Dentist" Anderson